Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: USB Headset sound
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 am 

Scott, when I plug in a USB headset, on my Win 7 pro 64 machine the headphones don't work or auto-switch from the speakers to the headset. With a regular I think 3.5mm plug they work like this. I realize USB is going to be different but can't figure out how to get them to auto-switch the headset when plugged in.

Post subject: Re: USB Headset sound
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:42 am 

I figured it out. Sorry to take your time Scott. You can delete this thread.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Not without hearing the solution! Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am 

Scott, I believe I just uninstalled and reinstalled the the sound drivers.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:10 pm 

One question for you though Scott. While figuring this out I disabled both sound controllers in the device manager with the headset plugged in. After disabling both I can still hear sound from the USB headset. This confuses me.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

There may have been default drivers provided by Windows. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 pm 

I also decided to try using HDMI sound via my video card and hmdi monitor. I figured out that my sound doesn't work through the hdmi connection. Supposedly there are no speakers on the monitor itself, however there is a 3.5mm jack for "pass-through" and I plugged that into my speakers and it didn't work. I've emailed support and will see what happens with that. The monitor is still under warranty, so why not?.

My monitor.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:33 pm 

I still don't understand how can the computer produce sound if both sound controllers or the built in sound and the hdmi sound are disabled?.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:22 pm 

Hey Scott. I fixed the problem of no sound via HDMI output by uninstalling the AMD hdmi sound drivers. The microsoft hdmi driver works, the AMD driver does not. Kind of funny. Although it is an very old graphics card on this pc, an internet search turned out some results showing this was a common problem. Also shows the amd never actually fixed the problem.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:24 am 

For some reason though the sound just isn't that great through HDMI. The built in sound sounded better.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 am 

Adjusting the sound output from the monitor ocd helps a lot. The speakers are also powered so maybe it was just too loud on the output from the monitor. Not sure, maybe I'll switch back to the on-board sound. You see, with the sound coming from HDMI earphone jack on the monitor that's connected to powered speakers it has a "hiss" when turned up full blast, even without anything playing. Using the on-board sound it doesn't do this.

Scott, is this just because I have powered speakers, or is just the sound quality from this particular monitor bad?.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:05 pm 

Seriously what is this hiss?. I can hear it even if it's not turned up all the way. What is it caused by?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm 

Actually tried a few different cables and it sounded different as in when turning the volume up and on pc controls when the sound would play I would get static. As sound as the sound stopped the static would go away. This is just adjusting the volume control on the pc. Previous to that I could turn up the volume and hear the static or "hissing" when no sound was playing at all.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:09 pm 

Now I've reset the monitor with the OCD controls to default. Now the hissing is undetectable to my ears. If I turn the sound all the way up on the powered speakers control I also can not hear the hissing.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 pm 

I "spoke" too soon. The problem is still there. When I adjust the volume up and down on the pc I hear a hissing after the "ding" of windows 7 volume adjustment.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:50 pm 

I've found some reviews on Amazon that also complain about the "hissing" coming from the headphone 3.5mm jack for hdmi sound. So this seems to confirm to be it's just poor quality. Maybe I can get a replacement from Asus but I'm not sure that would help.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:18 pm 

Ok next to try is to connect my speakers to my wifes HMDI monitor and see if I get the same thing. The thing is I tried using some un-powered headphones and I can't replicate the hissing, or it's harder to notice. When the powered speakers are connected and the volume is turned up and down you can hear the hiss just as the the little "windows ding" is finishing. It sounds sort of like wind. Or if I turn the volume up at a certain level you can hear it even without playing any sound at all.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 pm 

Ok so I connected the speakers to my wifes HDMI connected monitor and used the headphone jack on the back of the monitor. No hissing noise at all. Tried turning the speakers all the way up and still silence from the speakers. So it's got to be my Asus monitor.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:18 pm 

I shipped my Asus monitor in for RMA. About 3 weeks later they shipped it back and I received it today. They said they fixed it but I connected and still have the same problem. I even sent them a video of it and told them my exact set up. They told me that it shouldn't do that, and so I shipped it in to them. So now I called them back and told them and they told me to ship it back again!.

So I asked for a supervisor. Waited on hold for 10 minutes for them to tell me they would call me back in 10-72 hours. So now I wait. Never getting another Asus monitor. Maybe I can get a refund but I don't think they would offer that.

Don't know why they wouldn't test the operation of the monitor after the "fix".

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:16 pm 

So I wrote to the CEO and got a response from different "techs" that "work in the CEO office". Telling me I have to ship the monitor back again. ASUS is a joke.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:00 pm 

So I shipped it back to them and received it back again the other day. The problem still remains.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware