Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Windows 10 dual monitor
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:06 pm 

Ok so after my pc goes to sleep and I wake it up the secondary monitor comes on first rather than the main one. Is there someway I can change it so the primary monitor comes on first? Not really a problem but kind of annoying.

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 dual monitor
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting problem, let me know if you find a way to change that behavior. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:25 pm 

Could it just be the way they are connected?. The main monitor is attached using Display port, the secondary is using HDMI.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 am 
Site Admin

The connection could definitely be the cause. I would try swapping connections. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:26 pm 

Scott, on my wife's pc the display port connection comes on first, than the HDMI. On my pc the hdmi connected monitor comes on first, than the display port monitor. On the wifes pc the hdmi connected monitor is an older one maybe 8 years old or so, and the her newer one which is less than a year old is connected via display port and that one comes on first.

So I would guess this is normal behavior and just based on the particular "response time" of each monitor. It takes a bit longer with my AOC monitor for the monitor to respond when shutting down. The HDMI connected monitor says no signal right away, whereas the Display port connected monitor takes a bit longer and only shows or responds saying "no signal" at least 20-30 seconds AFTER the hdmi connected monitor. Well I just looked up "response time" this is not the definition that I thought it was. You get the idea of what I mean though....

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:41 pm 

So here is step by step again.

Right click on "start" or "windows" button, select "Sleep". Secondary monitor shows "no signal" immediately. Primary monitor still "on", at least 30 seconds later primary monitor shows "No signal".

Press power button. Secondary monitor wakes up and shows desktop. About 5 seconds later the secondary monitor goes to sleep and the primary monitor wakes up. Then about 2 seconds later the secondary monitor(extended desktop) wakes.....

So........What do you think Scott?

I actually called AOC support and they said that's how it should work.....

They said it sounds like nothing is wrong but they could start an RMA and I'd have to pay for shipping and if they receive it and find nothing wrong they will just ship back the same monitor.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:49 pm 

Finally got this fixed by installing and older version of the driver that's on the motherboard's manufacturer website. I had installed a newer one from Intel which is what caused the problem.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware