Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: WLAN remains off after exiting Stand By
 Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:25 am 

Laptop Alienware area 5550I core 2 2.33ghz l4 cache 2gb of ram 250gb hard drive.

Bios Up to date
Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Up to date. Also tried Windows vista on a 60gb. SP1 update
Wireless card INTEL PRO WIRELESS 3945 A/B/G MINI-CARD LEAD-FREE up to date also tried older drivers.
Soon to be INTEL PRO WIRELESS 4965 A/B/G DRAFT-N MINI-CARD

Frist off. The laptop running Great after they replaced the motherboard. But I am missing one feature Most people like about laptops Standby mode. If I enter standby or Sleep mode. everything turns off just Fine.

Now the problem. When I exit the Sleep or standby mode. Everything kick in just fine But the Wireless card. When you exit windows or Vista it dont shut off right.

I have some say you dont really need it. Alot of times I am going from one hotspot to another one. I rather have my system setup have to do is exit sleep mode and be ready to help clients. It save power and time.

Here a list of what I done so far.

1 Replaced the wireless card and tried old wireless card into a Acer laptop. Drops into Sleep mode and exit sleep mode just fine.

2 That Brings up the Drivers update. look up intel site and updated. Same issue.

3 Called intel Tech. The only thing he seid was it could be the ram on the laptop. So I started with 512mb chip. Then 1gb chip and 2gb. Same issue.

4 Called back intel Tech and ask if the newer Wireless Card abgn would fix the problem. The Tech seid it would not and requires 3 Leads/wires for the wireless vs 2 leads on abg wireless card.

5 Alienware seid it could be the 32 bit kernal they would talk to the tech and get back to me.

5 yesterday. Alienware tech calls after talking to there techs. seid they want to try the abgn wireless card. I tried telling them what Intel tech told me and they seid let try it anyway.

The only thing I can think of they never made a bios that deal with this problem untel the newer laptops came out.

Let me know what you all think.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Atol wrote:
When I exit the Sleep or standby mode. Everything kick in just fine But the Wireless card. When you exit windows or Vista it dont shut off right.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say the Wireless doesn't "kick in", or Windows doesn't "shut off right". In the future, including many more specific details would be helpful!

I'm going to *guess* that when you come out of Stand By, the WLAN card isn't automatically re-associating with the network, and you have to manually reconnect. That is indeed a problem as Windows should connect to any network in your Preferred network list automatically any time you are in range, whether you have Restarted (i.e. cold or warm boot) or resumed from either Stand By or Hibernation.

Quote:
Replaced the wireless card and tried old wireless card into a Acer laptop. Drops into Sleep mode and exit sleep mode just fine.

From this I gather that things do work properly with the "old wireless card", but not with the other card you describe. The fact that it works with one card, but not with others would generally absolve the system hardware and/or Windows of any blame, and put the blame squarely on either the wireless card, the drivers, and/or the configuration. Of those possible causes I suspect the latter (configuration) as it is doubtful the hardware and/or drivers are to blame. Of course as a precaution, I would always make sure to use the latest drivers, and you indicate you have already done exactly that.

To solve what I suspect is a configuration problem with the affected card, try these steps:

First, make sure that the networks you are connecting to are properly listed and configured in your "Preferred networks" under Wireless Properties; Wireless Networks:

Next, make sure you have *unchecked* the box labeled "Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication for this network":

Next, make sure you have *checked* the box labeled "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting":

Note that this particular box will *not* be present under Windows XP *unless* you have installed either Service Pack 3 (recommended, as it is now FINAL and released by Microsoft) or the Wireless Client Update for Service Pack 2:

While all of the above are possible configuration problems, there is one additional item that I feel is most likely the cause of your particular problem. When running under battery power, many laptop wireless cards are configured to use a battery saving feature called Power Save Polling (PSP). Unfortunately, this reduced power mode can cause reconnection problems with some access points. As a solution, I recommend you disable the PSP feature and put the wireless card into Continually Aware Mode (CAM). To accomplish this, follow these steps:

1. Open Network Connections (click Start; Run; type NCPA.CPL; click OK)
    2. Right-click the wireless connection; then click Properties.
    3. Under "Connect using:" click Configure.
    4. Click the Advanced tab; then locate and *disable* any power management settings.
Note that the power management settings can vary according to the specific card and/or drivers you are using. Possible settings to look for include:

Power Save Mode (Maximum/Normal/Off): choose OFF
    Power Save Mode (Fast/Enabled/Disabled): choose DISABLED
    Minimum Power Consumption (Enabled/Disabled): choose DISABLED
Note that in some cases if the minimum power management/maximum power usage was already set, you will need to change the setting, then change it back in order for it to take effect.

For more information, see the following links:

Let me know what solves the problem, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:23 am 

You are right it the WLAN.

I had Alineware tech do the basics of what you explain. I did go back and double check the WLAN setup. Useing the list you provided One more note I tend to bring Power cord for the laptop just due to Battery life is only a hour and a half. All my test where done while the power cord was plug in. Power setting is High Performance. I just tried on battery power and same problem.

Windows xp has sp3
windows vista has sp1

When you look at the front of the Laptop there like 10 lights. One light is the WLAN. Right now there 5 Lighst. Power, WLAN, Battery, Hard drive and Num Lock. When the lid closed and reopen the WLAN light is off.

I also tried disabling WLAN or use the switch on the laptop to disable it before going into sleep mode. Then try exiting sleep mode and then try starting the card. You still get the same error.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Are you using any proprietary software to control the WLAN card? For example, most laptops that include Intel wireless cards install the Intel PROSet/Wireless Network Connection Software: http://developer.intel.com/network/conn ... ftware.htm

This software is designed to take over control of the network adapter(s), and can do things like automatically turn the WLAN card on and off. Unfortunately, this software often causes problems such as you are having. In most cases I do not recommend using such software, and if you are doing so then I recommend you uninstall it.

The card you are apparently having problems with is the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. You said that you had updated the drivers, however I note that Alienware has only posted XP and Vista drivers that *include* the unwanted PROSet software, while you can get a driver-only package with the latest drivers for that card (and *without* PROSet) directly from Intel:

After any proprietary WLAN management software such as PROSet has been uninstalled, make sure that Windows has been re-enabled to control the WLAN card. To do this, in Network Connections right click on the Wireless network connection; select Properties; click the Wireless Networks tab; and make sure there is a *check* in the box labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

Let me know if that solves your problem, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:53 pm 

The only thing I notice was I have a better connection.

But same problem. Exiting from sleep/standby mode. WLAN stays disconnected.

Alienware want me to try the INTEL PRO WIRELESS 4965 A/B/G DRAFT-N MINI-CARD. I will be getting that in the next few days. I still think I will have the same problem.

One note on your earlier post

Quote:
From this I gather that things do work properly with the "old wireless card", but not with the other card you describe. The fact that it works with one card, but not with others would generally absolve the system hardware and/or Windows of any blame, and put the blame squarely on either the wireless card, the drivers, and/or the configuration. Of those possible causes I suspect the latter (configuration) as it is doubtful the hardware and/or drivers are to blame. Of course as a precaution, I would always make sure to use the latest drivers, and you indicate you have already done exactly that.

All 3 Wireless cards. Work in the ACER Laptop. But when I tried the one from ACER and the one Alienware sent me last week. They both did same thing as the card that was in the laptop from the start.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Atol wrote:
But same problem. Exiting from sleep/standby mode. WLAN stays disconnected.

After a resume is the radio powered ON but disconnected (not associated is the correct terminology), or does the radio remain powered OFF?

Normally if the radio was powered on before entering Stand By, it should automatically turn back on after a resume. All of my previous suggestions assumed that the radio was actually powered on!

If the radio does indeed remain OFF after a resume then you may actually *want* to use the Intel PROSet software, as I believe it has the ability to turn the radio on and off automatically: http://developer.intel.com/network/conn ... ftware.htm

ThinkPads come with a program similar to PROSet called Access Connections, which automatically turns off the wireless radio whenever a wired connection is present, and turns the radio back on whenever the wired connection is disconnected. For example I can connect via wired ethernet at my desk (with the wireless radio OFF), then close the lid to put the system in Stand By, disconnect everything (press one button to undock) and move to a different location without a wired connection. When I open the lid, the system resumes from Stand By, detects that the wired ethernet is no longer connected, then automatically turns on the wireless radio and associates with any of my preferred networks. It does this in less time than it takes to say it (mere seconds): http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvan ... tions.html

Now *that's* the way it is supposed to work. <g> Try reinstalling the latest version of the PROSet software, and see if will automatically turn the radio on after a resume.

Quote:
Alienware want me to try the INTEL PRO WIRELESS 4965 A/B/G DRAFT-N MINI-CARD. I will be getting that in the next few days. I still think I will have the same problem.

If the wireless cards aren't powering on after a resume on the Alienware system, but they work properly in another system, then I agree that the problem will remain with the new card. I now suspect that something in the Alienware laptop is not turning the radio back on. You might check the BIOS Setup to see if any power settings there might apply.

Let me know if you ever find a solution, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:01 am 

I read your last post. I agree it should work like the Thinkpad or my Pro-Star or Acer Laptop. Moving around work I have to use a Acer laptop. Or reboot alot with Alienware.

I look at the system after I exit sleep mode here what I found.

1 When I exit out of sleep mode the WLAN Light will not come back on.

2 Checking on Device Manager it says the WLAN is working (This Device is working Properly). When you click on Network connection it says Not Connected and you can scan networks or try to repair. Nothing.

3 I also tried turning off the switch for the WLAN and turning it back on.

4 Logging off and log back on. Same thing. Also changing Accounts Same thing.

In device manager the Card is detected. But you see no Light on the laptop WLAN and the Taskbar Lower right hand side. You see the Network Connection there is a red X.

I reinstalled PROSET. Same problem.

If I ever find the solution you will be the frist to know. Please remember the history of this laptop.

Overheating of the cpu at 110c which you help make a Batch file with speed fan. Untel alienware replaced the Motherboard and stop the overheating.

I know this sounds crazy. Could the problem be related to the IHA architecture? Also Related to the overheating of the Last motherboard.

There was about 8 People on Alienware site that had the same WLAN and about 10 to 12 People With Overheating.

You been more help then All of Alienware staff.

Last edited by Atol on Wed May 07, 2008 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 am 

This is what was on Alienware site. Time and Dates and people problems. On the same Wireless card. Mine at the bottem.

Author Thread: Wireless problem when the computer goes into Sleep mode.
CLogan

Total Posts: 6

Wireless problem when the computer goes into Sleep mode.
Posted: 04-03-2007 11:23 AM
I have a problem whenever I put my laptop into sleep mode. The wireless will simply not work after i come out of it. The computer is brand new, complete with a fresh copy of Vista.

Basically when my m5790 comes back on after being asleep the wireless LED will be off. This does not change with moving the wireless button on or off. The card itself appears to be on because i can enable and re-enable the card. The button just appears to be unresponsive after the computer sleeps and the wireless stops working. I don't know if this is just a service that gets turned off when the computer sleeps and doesn't come back on, or if it some sort of hardware problem.

I tried going into the device manager and looking at the actual card and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the Power Management tab, this did not work. I also made sure that under the advanced power settings, and under Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode, I have both On batter and Plugged in set to Maximum Performance.

Not sure what to do at this point, thanks so much for your help.

AW-WARNER

Total Posts: 17901

Re: Wireless problem when the computer goes into Sleep mode.
Posted: 04-03-2007 03:18 PM
Our research team is currently looking into this, clogan. They should come up with an answer soon, and when they do, we'll let you know right away.

Thanks for your input.

clogan Wrote:

I have a problem whenever I put my laptop into sleep mode. The wireless will simply not work after i come out of it. The computer is brand new, complete with a fresh copy of Vista.

Basically when my m5790 comes back on after being asleep the wireless LED will be off. This does not change with moving the wireless button on or off. The card itself appears to be on because i can enable and re-enable the card. The button just appears to be unresponsive after the computer sleeps and the wireless stops working. I don't know if this is just a service that gets turned off when the computer sleeps and doesn't come back on, or if it some sort of hardware problem.

I tried going into the device manager and looking at the actual card and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the Power Management tab, this did not work. I also made sure that under the advanced power settings, and under Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode, I have both On batter and Plugged in set to Maximum Performance.

Not sure what to do at this point, thanks so much for your help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warner Johnson
Forums Tech Support

CLogan

Posted: 05-02-2007 01:46 AM
Any results with your research, I'm still having the same problem

AW-WARNER

Posted: 05-02-2007 01:55 PM
There's an issue with the sleep mode in Vista, clogan. We are waiting for a hotfix from MS that will fix this. In the meantime, disable those options and update the system Bios to the lates version.

I'll check back with the research guys.

clogan Wrote:

Any results with your research, I'm still having the same problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warner Johnson
Forums Tech Support

d503

Total Posts: 5

Posted: 05-02-2007 06:57 PM
I would just like to let it be known that I am also having this exact problem.

I have the m5790 and whenever Vista enters sleep mode, upon waking up the LED will be off for wireless, and you cannot turn it back on.

AW-WARNER

Posted: 05-03-2007 12:59 PM
I'm gathering all of this information for the research guys, d503. I should get some information about this soon.

d503 Wrote:

I would just like to let it be known that I am also having this exact problem.

I have the m5790 and whenever Vista enters sleep mode, upon waking up the LED will be off for wireless, and you cannot turn it back on.

Warner Johnson
Forums Tech Support

d503

Posted: 05-13-2007 02:34 AM
Just curious, since we're at 1.5mo's since this post was made. Do we have a status update?

Thanks!

d503

CLogan

Posted: 06-25-2007 01:37 PM
Any new information on this problem, I'm still having the same issue whenever I go into sleep mode.

AW-WARNER

Posted: 06-25-2007 02:24 PM
There's no information available yet, clogan. It will be poste here as soon as we get it.

Warner Johnson
Forums Tech Support

d503

Posted: 09-15-2007 01:32 AM
So at what point do I call customer support requesting a gratis copy of XP, due to the obvious and glaring Vista issue here?

I apologize for being snarky, but this is an every day use issue. I want to put my computer to sleep, I do...but I can't...in fact, sleep has only gotten worse!

What do you think, aw-warner?

AW-WARNER

Posted: 09-18-2007 03:00 PM
We are working on this, d503. There's no word on an ETA for this yet.

Warner Johnson
Forums Tech Support

d503

Posted: 09-29-2007 09:30 PM
Just so you know, warner, it's not a Vista issue...I spent a good 3 hours reinstalling XP just to troubleshoot this issue.

I'm still having the same exact symptoms when I put my computer into Stand By, as well as the Blue Screens that I experienced with Vista after coming back from Stand By.

It's a hardware issue...don't skirt around it.

I'll be calling technical support and seeing if they have any desire to resolve it.

alienmanfc6

Total Posts: 2

Posted: 10-01-2007 03:07 PM
i to have this problem and have been watching this thread hoping for a fix. what is going on here. are you guys really working on a fix? cuz i dont seem like it to me

Atol

Total Posts: 83

Posted: 04-12-2008 03:19 AM
Has there been any fix for this problem? I tried driver updates. reinstalled windows XP. Same issue. Reinstalled Vista same issue.

Edit the Post

task

Total Posts: 1

Posted: 04-14-2008 07:05 PM
I also have this same issue since i've had my laptop out of the box *Area-51(r) m5550* (dont feel like spending hours on the phone talking to tech support going in circles).

This problem is both on Windows xp and Vista for me. I can't seem to find a fix. I've tried setting the power options on the card but nothing helps.

AW-WARNER

Posted: 04-15-2008 09:34 AM
Give us a call so you can replace the card, Atol.

Warner Johnson
Forums Tech Support

d503

Posted: 04-15-2008 01:18 PM
For everyone having this issue, please do the following:

* Don't believe the hype that this is a driver issue. It is a hardware issue.
* Call support immediately and escalate as high as you can.

In my experience, I had to escalate through support and external methods in order to get my case resolved. Said resolution involved being without my laptop for multiple weeks, and resulted in a store credit.

Replacing the wireless card 3 times did nothing. This included replacing with the same card, and an upgraded draft-n card of the same manufacturer.

Please be persistent and don't let Alienware's support "push you around."

Good luck!

d503

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 am 
Site Admin

It looks like it is definitely a problem with that Alienware unit. Let me know if they ever come up with a solution. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:39 am 

Here the uptodate info.

The INTEL PRO WIRELESS 4965 A/B/G DRAFT-N MINI-CARD is installed. Same Problem. There was a Proset test for this card. Test hardware, Drivers, Radio, Scan Test, Association Test, Authentication Test, Signal Test and ping Test. When the wireless card starts up. Everything passed the test. When I drop to sleep mode and exit and start it. Hardware Test, Driver Test it pass. Then it stops on Radio Test.

It had a troubleshoot on it. Listed Below

Radio Test
The test summary displays Radio On or Radio Off. The test queries the current radio state. If the radio is switched on, the test passes. If the radio is off, the test fails.

Troubleshooting

Verify that your wireless adapter's radio is on. There are two methods to turn the radio on and off:

The hardware switch.
Windows Vista:
Click Start > Control Panel > Windows Mobility Center.
Click Turn Wireless On.

It show Display brightness, volume, battery status, Wireless Network, External Display, Sync center, and Presentation Setting.

But when I exit from Sleep mode. Even that has a X on reconnecting to wireless network.

Quote:
If the wireless cards aren't powering on after a resume on the Alienware system, but they work properly in another system, then I agree that the problem will remain with the new card. I now suspect that something in the Alienware laptop is not turning the radio back on. You might check the BIOS Setup to see if any power settings there might apply.

Just letting you know new or old WLAN card problem still there. Oh and the tech today seid if 2 other WLAN card did not work. The new card would not work. I told him please tell the other Tech this.

They should call me today and setup a day to send the laptop back. But I dont think they will fix the problem.

Dang I wish I was a Laptop Bata Tester.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Check the status of the Radio in the Device Manager:

1. Open Network Connections (click Start; Run; type NCPA.CPL; click OK)
    2. Right-click the wireless connection; then click Properties.
    3. Under "Connect using:" click Configure.
    4. Click the Advanced tab; then locate "Radio On/Off" under Property
    5. Check the Value, if it is OFF, then set it to ON and click OK
Let me know what the value is after resume, and if it is OFF, what happens when you turn it ON. Thanks, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:11 am 

I tried that Scott nothing. Today I am sending it back to alienware. Like you or me I dont think they will find anything.

I think they did not make a Bios update. For the WLAN. It hurt them. Bad thing is I love the laptop by looks and power.

I will let you know what they do and such. So you can note it and use it to help other people.

I ask for many people for help from intel, alienware, uniwill maker of the laptop. Mirosoft. The one that gave me the best info is you. I ask a CEO from alienware if they know of you and it was Huh.

Alienware as a company lack skills of computer. There Tech that rebuild computers and Calling Tech support is lacking.

But I use the same skills to teach my self. One not buy Alienware. two. Test a system for everything when you buy it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know the outcome. It is too bad that Alienware doesn't do proper testing of its products, and would release something with so obvious a flaw. One that makes it unacceptable, what I call a "deal breaker". I applaud you for returning it rather than living with it. Economic pressure may be the only thing that ends up motivating them to solve this type of problem in the end. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:11 pm 

Hello Scott

Here what Alienware seid that need to be replaced let me know if it sound like fix

Please be aware that the last Depot Status update we received shows that the PCMCIA port/slot needs to be replaced.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think the CardBus/ExpressCard slots have anything to do with this, but let me know how it works out. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:23 am 

Monday I will call the CEO of Alienware. I will ask them to send the detail info on how they solved the problem and I will post there info here. I will be getting my laptop back on the 28 of next week.

One thing I will tell them is they Need good Beta Testers of laptops so they can fix them before they are released. People who run that laptop for a Month or longer. Point out Flaw. Then have that company fix it. Dang they can hire me. I would love to test new laptops see problems and fix them.

One thing I did like about Alienware. They tried solving the problem on your own terms. Basicly check the computer useing online connection. For computer Geeks like us that Great. But for the Normal people It like huh, what, what a hard drive? what a CPU. What the hell you talking about feeling.

Here the problem I see. Techs on the Phone dont talk to the Techs that repair that laptop. Basicly they get this.

Laptop overheating.

Change Heatsink Fan. Or Video card. When it the Motherboard.

What I think should happen is have a call back of a Repair tech who has your computer to get the right info. So that person can go ya that been replaced Heatsink been replaced before. Grapics card been replaced. This is what been doing.

I have a feeling Alienware payed 3x the amount on my laptop then what I payed.

You been a big part on solving the problem. I truly want to thank you. For you and your books have been a great teacher in my Learning of computers.

Post subject: Re: WLAN remains off after exiting Stand By
 Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:27 pm 

Just letting you know the update. They replaced the Motherboard and heatsink. And sent it back.

I did the Basic Bios update like I do on my Systems. I have the same issue. Close the lid system will go into Sleep mode. When you exit sleep mode. The WLan card stay off.

This is what been done on the laptop So far

This is the List of what techs tried on this laptop.
3 Motherboard Frist motherboard was overheating. Other two Motherboard ran fine. Other then Wlan issue.
3 of the abg WLan card One sent to alienware One was from Acer Laptop Same issue
1 abn Wlan card Same issue
5 Heatsink Fans. 4 From the Frist Motherboard that was Overheating.

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately if the initial design is faulty, replacing the parts with the same poorly designed parts won't fix the problem. I'd return that thing for a refund if possible, or if not at least a replacement of a completely different model, hopefully one with a better design. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 pm 

I agree with you Scott. They email me today and they will be replacing this laptop with Store Credit.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware