Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Xp too slow at startup
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:41 am 

Hi Scott,

I've a PC that is too slow to startup. I've tried to use msconfig, to uncheck some startup programs. I've tried to empty Windows prefetch folder and deleted some keys in the Run and Runonce both for the registry's Local and Current user sections. Though , that helped a bit. I tried to uninstall most of the unwanted programs, but the system is very slow again at startup. Are there any other ways to improve the system startup operation in XP pro? Do residue files of uninstalled programs have an impact on startup? If Yes, how can they be eliminated? I have always seen folders of programs I deleted long time ago in Windows Explorer, such as Adobe application programs, antivirus programs, et cetera. Why are they left there after a complete uninstallation operation has been performed?

Thanks.

-- Kit

Post subject: Re: Xp too slow at startup
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:37 am 
Site Admin

You can see my recommendations for improving Windows startup times in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=594

Quote:
Do residue files of uninstalled programs have an impact on startup? If Yes, how can they be eliminated?

Just having files from uninstalled programs by itself won't slow a system down, however not all programs uninstall themselves properly. Windows rot http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22windows+rot%22 is a colloquial term used to describe the process by which a PC running Windows becomes progressively slower and more problematic over time. The condition is largely caused by deterioration of the registry and is generally proprortional to the amount of software (incl. applications, utilities, drivers, and even malware) installed and uninstalled over time.

While most of this is caused by 3rd party (i.e. non-Windows) software, and one may be able to clean up or repair some of the performance degradation that occurs over time viewtopic.php?t=66, the only 100% effective method to restore original functionalty and performance is a clean install.

Quote:
I have always seen folders of programs I deleted long time ago in Windows Explorer, such as Adobe application programs, antivirus programs, et cetera. Why are they left there after a complete uninstallation operation has been performed?

Unfortunately many programs don't fully uninstall themselves, removing all traces of their existance from the system, instead leaving registry keys, updaters, background processes, etc. that remain on the system. That is one of the main reasons why a clean install is the best thing one can do to speed up a system.

But then after a clean install you must insure that you don't slow the system back down excessively by reinstalling programs in a haphazard manner, or by allowing programs to install all kinds of unwanted or unneeded addons and accessories: viewtopic.php?p=2373#p2373

Post subject: Re: Xp too slow at startup
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 am 

Thanks Scott!

I can see a clean reinstallation is the way to go!

Kit

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS