Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: can i get gigabit speeds out of my XPS1530 nic
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:29 pm 

I just purchased a Dell XPS1530 laptop and i'm pretty disapointed with allot of things on it. I plan on transfering 50+ gig files often so i would like to have a gigabit NIC card. this laptop comes with a Marvell Yukon 88E8040 Fast eathernet card. On Marvell's website they claim the NIC card as a gigabit card "[color=#FFBF00]http://www.marvell.com/products/pcconn/yukon/Smallest_PCI_Express_Fast_Ethernet_Controller/release/794/[/color]" i cannot get any speeds close to that out of it. so i have done some forum hopping and i have found Dell restricted the NIC card with its Firmware. Is there any way i can update the Firmware to get the full potential out of my NIC card? here is a quote i found on "notebookrevieDOTcom"...

"[color=#FFBF00]Well, when I ordered my M1530, the only thing it said about a LAN port was that it was the Marvell Yukon FE+ 88E8040 and said NOTHING about speeds. So naturally, I checked out Marvell's website and found that article I posted earlier which stated the LAN adapter would do 10/100/1000. And considering the fact that most high end notebooks now come with gigabit LAN, I consider my conclusion that my new M1530's Yukon FE+ 88E8040 would have the same capabilities.

In my 20 or so years of building, repairing, administering, and keeping a close eye on personal computer technology, this is one of the very first times i've actually seen a major manufacturer take a fully capable network adapter and cripple it's most important feature in the way Dell has done in this situation.

I will admit though that after countless hours of forum hopping, I did eventually find out that Dell did indeed disable the gigabit feature from the M1530.

Considering that Dell didn't even show this adapter in their list of specifications when you finish building your XPS Dell notebook "build and customize" feature, so indeed Dell completely deceived buyers by this practice of downgrading a great LAN adapter to sub-par 10/100 performance.

What makes me even more angry is that nations such as the UK, Australia, Asia, and most of the European Union actually receive this adapter with full 10/100/1000 LAN speeds.

Quote:
If so, then it isn't Dell's fault if you can't get it to run at Gigabit speeds when they never said it could, Marvell's claims not withstanding.

The EXACT SAME network adapter in my M1530 is being used in all these foreign nations except DELL took it upon themselves to remove the capability of gigabit through their special US-Spec Vista 32/64 drivers/firmware.

THIS.... is why I'm upset with Dell/Intel for doing this.

I hope you understand my point of view as well. I have here invoices for my M1530 XPS and nowhere has it stated that this LAN adapter does not function in gigabit mode. It wasn't until after my notebook arrived that after trial and error, I found out that Dell decided to restrict the gigabit feature of the Marvell LAN chipset... from many third party sources, and absolutely NOTHING from Dell.

I hope with a firmware update, this can somehow be fixed so my m1530 can have its LAN adapter running at full potential.

Till that day, i can only wait."[/
color]

Post subject: Re: can i get gigabit speeds out of my XPS1530 nic
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

According to Dell the XPS M1530 only comes with a "10/100" Ethernet port. I found this by checking the "Tech Specs" tab on the ordering page as well as the specifications listed in the user manual.

Bottom line: I see nothing misleading, as 10/100 was both advertised and delivered. I understand the need for a gigabit Ethernet port, especially for large file transfers. For that reason I've been recommending laptops with integrated gigE for many years now.

As I see it there are two solutions, either installing a gigE adapter in the existing system or getting a different laptop that has gigE built-in. Unfortunately I haven't found a gigabit Ethernet adapter for laptops that works properly. However, because any laptops I would have purchased or recommended having ExpressCard would also have integrated gigE, I only tested CardBus and USB based gigE adapters, and have not tested any ExpressCard based gigE adapters. I expect ExpressCard gigE adapters would work as well as integrated gigE, but I also thought CardBus adapters would have worked just as well, and was wrong. If you try an ExpressCard adapter, please let me know how well it performs.

Other than trying an ExpressCard based adapter I'd recommend getting a laptop with gigE integrated. I normally recommend ThinkPad T- and R-series models, most of which have had gigabit Ethernet adapters since early 2003. Let me know what route you go and how it works out. Scott.

EDIT: Both the datasheet as well as the press release confirm that the Marvell Yukon FE+ 88E8040 is a Fast Ethernet (10/100) controller. Who ever told you that it supported gigE was obviously incorrect, and no firmware update will change that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Admin

I would have to agree with Scott on this. On Dell's website for the XPS M1530 the tech specs say 10/100 LAN. Even the support page lists drivers for a 10/100 nic card.

If you just purchased the system, you should contact Dell and return the system and get a different one with gigabit networking.

A Lenovo Thinkpad would be a good choice.

Mike.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 pm 

thanks for the fast reply. the reason i went with a Dell is the 12 no intrest financing. i did not have the cash up front to get another brand. spending $2k on this laptop i just assumed it would have a gigabit nic in it. i do not think Dell was missleading, hined sight 20/20 i should have double checked first.

the reason i was hoping to fined a firmware patch is i have seen people claim they have done it on other forums. after searching for hours myself i couldnt fined any firmware patch.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
the reason i was hoping to fined a firmware patch is i have seen people claim they have done it on other forums.

Unfortunately they lied. <g> If you do ever try an ExpressCard gigE adapter, let me know which one and how well it works. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:23 pm 

Do they perhaps have a docking station with GBE? (shot in the dark not looked it up)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:03 am 
Site Admin

All docking stations do is pass through the laptops existing capabilities. And that laptop does not have a docking station that I know of.

Now my Thinkpad laptop's docking station has a slot that I could stick a network card in, but I use that slot for an extra video card so I can have 4 monitors attached. Besides, it's already got gigabit networking built in.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 pm 

I wonder if UK Spec drivers might help? Also possibly a UK Bios update?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

David McMahon wrote:
I wonder if UK Spec drivers might help? Also possibly a UK Bios update?

I don't think you understood Scott's response so I'll translate it for you:

That laptop has a 10/100 network card built in and that's it. There is no way to get the built in networking to go faster than 100. Anybody who says they have gotten it to go faster is lying.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:27 pm 

My bad, speed reading :oops:

Scott wrote:
confirm that the Marvell Yukon FE+ 88E8040 is a Fast Ethernet (10/100) controller. Who ever told you that it supported gigE was obviously incorrect, and no firmware update will change that.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware