Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Fixing Laptop for friend
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:25 pm 

Hey Scott. A guy at church wanted me to take a look at his laptop. It's a toshiba Satalite L305-S5919. What its doing is when I turn it on it goes right to the Windows Boot manager. I can't select anything with the keyboard or move around the screen. So I was guessing the keyboard is bad. Well anyway, I connected an external usb keyboard. After that I could F8 and chose "Repair your Computer". It said "loading files" and a progress bar showed across the bottom of the screen. At this point though the laptop just started beeping over and over and over. Not like a bios beep code at all, but like a warning. Now is this because I can't use that option with an external keyboard attached?. Or is it just yelling at me trying to tell me the keyboard is bad?. I don't see any indicator lights on the actual keyboard so I could tell that its on at all. I guess I could wait and see what happens and if the progress bar moves but at this point my wife is trying to sleep and this thing is really annoying!. Laptop has Vista Home Premium installed. He told me the laptop was a year or less old.

Post subject: Re: Fixing Laptop for friend
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

If the internal keyboard has failed such that the system thinks a key is stuck, that could result in the symptoms you are experiencing. Try disconnecting the internal keyboard and using only an external one. If that solves the problem, then try cleaning the internal keyboard (cleaning might repair it), or replace it instead. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 am 

Also try seeing if any keys are stuck down by pressing each key and ensuring the "feel" the same, i.e if one key has a different feel that might be the stuck key, Has any liquid, dust crumbs! got into a key?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:20 pm 

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Yes it was the keyboard, I ordered a new one put it in and its fixed. They guy I got from said he brought to a service center and they were gonna charge him $300 for what they called "water damage". The thing is they didn't even spill anything in it(that I know of) and inside it was completly clean, no dust, no nothing. Looked brand new. I even called Toshiba, and they said it was still under warrenty. I guess I could have got the keyboard for free, but hey it was less than $20 and I learned from it and got experience.

I guess some people really have no shame....Has anyone else including you Scott heard of any horror stories about people getting ripped off?. Hey at least I saved them from that.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:50 am 

I'd say charging $150 to install a wireless router for 1 desktop and 1 laptop is a rip off. I was able to do for substantially less making for a very happy customer.

-Evan

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'd say charging $150 to install a wireless router for 1 desktop and 1 laptop is a rip off. I was able to do for substantially less making for a very happy customer.

I don't know where the $150 for installing a router came from. Although it doesn't sound out of line for me factoring in travel and time to set up.

Mike

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:03 am 

The $150 was a price that my customer was quoted and I knew I could do it for less. I could have done it for the same I suppose, but I wanted to help the guy out. I felt like it was too much for the amount of work involved. I also waived any travel/service call expense. This was just my personal opinion for this situation though, so I shouldn't say $150 for a wireless router install is a "rip off" as a blanket statement.

-Evan

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:35 pm 

Mike wrote:
I don't know where the $150 for installing a router came from. Although it doesn't sound out of line for me factoring in travel and time to set up.

My thought as well...travel, opening up a desktop and installing drivers on both, testing and connecting. $150 seems quite reasonable, especially when I hear the GeekSquad is charging $225 - $250 a visit minimum!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

As long as the job was done properly, that is actually a good deal. I would have charged more, but then I'd do an especially good job. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:06 pm 

Once did a job where PC World had got a machine in and removed the CPU HSF and replaced it by mashing the CPU (still attached to the HSF) back into the board and re-applying the clips!!!!

Luckily I was able to bend all the pins back! I got the machine running again and did my usual re-load of Windows (Do any computers in wild not have malware on them?!!)

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware