Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: 2GB of 8GB unable to be installed - Windows 7 64 Bit
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:07 am 

Hi Scott,

I have installed windows 7 64 bit and I am now unable to get 2GB of the newly installed
8GB working.I have ensured that all the RAM is the same as stated in your book.
When I go into the BIOS the additional RAM can be seen.

The issues is that when the system boots into the splash screen it stalls and will not
pass that point of start up.

I have cleaned all the slots and re-seated all the RAM which are all OCZ PC2 6400.
The BIOS is a Phoenix - Award BIOS.Should I be making any changes in the BIOS
to solve the issues or I am missing a critical step.

I have supplied as much information as I can,hope you can help

Brian

Motherboard Manufacturer: http://www.abit.com.tw/
Motherboard Model: FP-IN9 SLI(C55-MCP51)
240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking: 4 (2 banks of 2)
Chipset: nVidia nForce 650i SLI

DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-4200, PC2-5300, and PC2-6400
Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only

Graphics Support: Dual PCI Express x16, SLI capable
Max Component Density: 1024

Max Unbuffered DDR2 SDRAM: 32768MB
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only

Supported DRAM Types: DDR2 SDRAM only
USB Support: 2.x Compliant
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2097152 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 6144 MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Total Memory Slots: 4
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz Model 15, Stepping
CPU Speed: 2400 MHz

Post subject: Re: 2GB of 8GB unable to be installed - Windows 7 64 Bit
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have installed windows 7 64 bit and I am now unable to get 2GB of the newly installed 8GB working.

Was all of the memory recognized with Vista x64 installed?

Quote:
The issues is that when the system boots into the splash screen it stalls and will not pass that point of start up.

Now I'm confused. Does the system boot Win7 and only recognize 6GB of the 8GB installed, or does it fail to boot? If the latter, I suspect a defective memory module and/or motherboard.

Has this system ever booted Win7 successfully? If so, what changed between then and now?

Quote:
I have cleaned all the slots and re-seated all the RAM which are all OCZ PC2 6400.

Please provide a link to the specific memory modules involved.

Quote:
Motherboard Model: FP-IN9 SLI(C55-MCP51)

Please provide a link to the motherboard support page and/or manual.

Quote:
Currently Installed Memory: 6144 MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Total Memory Slots: 4

What software did you use to display that information? Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:15 am 

I don't understand where your problem is exactly. You state that the BIOS can see all the memory yet you also state that Windows will not fully load.
briangoddard wrote:
The issues is that when the system boots into the splash screen it stalls and will not pass that point of start up.

So how do you know that "only" 6GB of memory is seen?

-Evan

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:03 pm 

Believe the motherboard to be an Abit FP-IN9 SLI

Note that the Abit website is about as much use as a choclate ashtray used as a heat shield on a shuttle

So....

I got a link from here

http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/Abit_ ... Manual.pdf

and from the manual (page 17)

Usually there is no hardware or BIOS setup required after adding or removing
memory modules, but you will have to clear the CMOS memory first if any
memory module related problem occurs.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:43 am 

Hi Scott,

Please find below the additional information and thank you for looking at my problem.

I have never used Vista or any other 64 bit system prior to this
The system will boot successfully when I remove the last stick of RAM
Nothing has changed

Memory Module Link
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/m ... al_channel

Manual Link
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1416630/Abit ... rboard.pdf

The information was provided by the Crucial software from Crucial.com and the BIOS
When I introduce the last 2GB stick of RAM and boot straight into the BIOS all 8GB can been seen in the BIOS
When I try to boot straight into Win 7 with all 8GB, the system fails to boot past the slash screen.
When I remove the last 2GB stick the system boots successfully.

Brian

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 am 

The link you provided for the memory (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/m ... al_channel) shows that this memory only comes in 1GB modules or 2GB Kits(2x1024GB). Did you mean this selection?

I just want to make sure you are giving Scott the exact links.

Also the second link you provided is to a dropbox. While I'm a big fan of DropBox, we have no way of knowing what you have in there. Can you provide a link from the mfr.?

-Evan

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:26 am 

David,

I didn't look at your link (my bad). If briangoddard can verify that then forget my last question. <g>

-Evan

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

DDR2 memory is supposed to run at 1.8V. Unfortunately the memory you have installed is non-standard and requires a higher voltage, 2.1V in this case. While many motherboards don't support non-standard memory, your board does, but it may require some configuration. To set it up to support this memory, enter the BIOS Setup, then on the main screen select the option to Load Optimized Defaults. Once that is done, then go to the SoftMenu Setup and make sure that the setting for SLI-Ready Memory is set to Enabled. On that same menu, make sure the DDR2 voltage is set to 2.1V. To verify, go to the PC Health Status page, and verify that the DDR2 Voltage shows 2.1V. Finally, press F10 to save and exit.

Quote:
The system will boot successfully when I remove the last stick of RAM

With all 8GB of the memory installed and properly configured, see if Windows will boot now. If it does, then we're done here, problem solved.

If it still can't boot Windows, then you should test the memory and the motherboard. To do this, boot from an optical disc containing the Windows Memory Diagnostic. Run the memory tests (with all 8GB installed) to verify that all of the memory works. If there are no failures, but Windows would not boot, then try reinstalling Windows from scratch.

If there are any memory test failures with all 8GB installed, remove the matched pair of modules (one channel) from the DIMM2 and DIMM4 sockets, and re-test with the two modules remaining in DIMM1 and DIMM3. If that passes, then swap the modules in DIMM1 and DIMM3 with the two that you previously removed and re-test. If both pairs of modules work without errors in DIMM1 and DIMM3, then repeat the tests with one pair of modules installed (at a time) in DIMM2 and DIMM4.

The outcome of those tests should indicate whether any of the modules or sockets are bad (or not). If all of those tests pass, but the memory test still fails with all 8GB installed, then I'd have to say that either the motherboard is defective or there is an incompatibility between the memory and board that only surfaces when you have all 4 modules installed. At that point, you can decide to live with it, or to replace the memory, the motherboard, or both.

If you decide to replace the memory, note that I recommend using only memory that works at standard voltages, which is either 2.5V (DDR), 1.8V (DDR2) or 1.5V (DDR3). Memory modules calling for more are basically required to be overclocked in order to perform to their advertised specs, which I don't normally recommend. In addition, heat spreaders or heat sinks on memory are unnecessary if you are running the standard voltage, and in fact I don't like them as they hide the actual chips, which I like to see in order to know exactly what the module consists of. For example, here are some 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) modules that run at the standard voltage: http://tinyurl.com/yqmw5d

Let me know the results of all the tests, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:22 pm 

Hi Scott,
I have made the configuration settings changes and conducted the memory tests you suggested.
All tests were successful and the system did boot past the splash screen to the desk top screen prior to
crashing. I did notice that the SLI-Ready Memory status is not recognised.
I have not found any way of changing this to enabled or finding a away to change the status.
I would also report that post the changes to the Load Optimized Defaults the system performance
showed a noticeable improvement for which I thank you.

Thanks for your help
Brian

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 pm 

Does it recognise the full complement of RAM now?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:46 am 

No the situation remains the same, only 6GB of 8GB can be seen.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56 am 

briangoddard wrote:
No the situation remains the same, only 6GB of 8GB can be seen.

Well assuming you have tested all four sticks of RAM individually.

And assuming you have taken one of the passed sticks and tested each memory slot individually.

And they all passed.

Then your motherboard manual has this entry on page 1-11:

Usually there is no hardware or BIOS setup required after adding or removing memory modules, but you will have to clear the CMOS memory first if any memory module related problem occurs.

If clearing the CMOS memory doesn't resolve it, and all RAM and slots check out to be good then it is time to check the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS update that resolves memory issues over 4Gb or Win7 issue(s).

And if none are apparent contacting their tech support to list your problem. They may have a beta BIOS update addressing it if they know about the problem. Or they may want to start work on a BIOS update before others start to report a similar problem. Or they may know a alternate solution like bump up the northbridge voltage a single step. [edit--upon seeing how old your motherboard is, Abit may not care about updating BIOS to comply with their memory claims with Win7. I note some of the BIOS updates address Vista issues that may help if your BIOS is not up to date (BIOS ID: 16; Bios Issue Date:2007/12/17).

Are your chipset drivers up to date? Chipset
• NB: NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
• SB: NVIDIA nForce 430 SLI MCP

edit 2: Also do what Scott requested, run a diagnostic on all 8Gb at once. It will boot from the CD or floppy, so it will be independent of Win7. You can see if all 8Gb are recognized and tested by the diagnostic program or only three of the four sticks or slots.

From above (Scott): If it still can't boot Windows, then you should test the memory and the motherboard. To do this, boot from an optical disc containing the Windows Memory Diagnostic. Run the memory tests (with all 8GB installed) to verify that all of the memory works.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:04 pm 

Hi FascistNation,
As you suggested I updated the Chipset drivers and followed Scotts independent tests for the mother board
and memory, which passed. I was able to boot fully into the OS desk top but It crashed soon after.
The only outstanding adjustment which I am unable to carry out is finding a way of changing or enabling
the SLI-Ready Memory status which is currently set to unable to detect.
Many Thanks
Brian

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:48 pm 

Did you up the memory voltage to suit? You need to run the rated Ram voltage

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:14 am 

Hi David,

Yes,Scott requested I do this in this first response.

Brian

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:27 am 

Brian, your board has a SLI bracket (refer to section 1-14 of the manual from the link David provided). Make sure you have that set correctly to "normal" mode if you are only using 1 graphics card and to "SLI" mode (it's a physical change you will need to make on the motherboard) if you are using identical cards. Also remember that you will need the SLI bridge connector to physically connect the 2 cards.

I'm not sure if having the SLI bracket in the wrong orientation would cause your specific memory error, but it will cause problems if it isn't installed correctly.

-Evan

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 pm 

Hi Evan,
I took a look at the SLI switch card and it is correctly positioned for single graphics card use.
Thanks for the suggestion ,I would not have looked at this.
Brian

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:25 pm 

Well, while I am not convinced you have stated you have done MANY of the things suggested to rule out individual components...assuming this is an oversight you are now at the point where Scott suggested a clean install of the OS with all 8Gb present. And if that fails to recognize the 8Gb of RAM, I would say it is time to RMA the motherboard. Document everything you have tried because the motherboard manufacturer will undoubtedly blame the memory when you contact them...and they will probably have you perform similar/ the same tests before authorizing an RMA. Be patient. If you are lucky you will get a knowledgeable tech who may actually be able to solve the problem without an RMA.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm 

Hi FascistNation,
I have been desperate to fully upgrade my system and your help, Scott's and all others has been much
appreciated and followed to the letter anything I was unsure of I researched.
I will take your advice and return the custom system which is still under warranty accompanied by my notes.

Thanks once again for you help.

Brian

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:30 pm 

I think this link may be of some interest. The guy seems to have the same problem and the solution is in the thread. Read the full thread and I think you will have your answer...

http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18315

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:02 pm 

Hi FatGuy,
Many thanks for the link it had some good info in it. I have looked at the voltage,Scott suggested I change it
to 2.10 which did make a difference but did not solve the issue.
I will look into the EPP set up for two memory modules only.
Many thanks
Brian

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...I have looked at the voltage,Scott suggested I change it to 2.10 which did make a difference but did not solve the issue.

Since going to 2.1V made a difference, you might try upping it further to 2.2V. If you read the specs on the non-standard memory you bought, you can see where it states:

**OCZ EVP (Extended Voltage Protection) is a feature that allows performance enthusiasts to use a VDIMM of 2.2V without invalidating their OCZ Lifetime Warranty.

You might also try underclocking the memory to see if it will run at a slower rate. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm 

briangoddard wrote:
Hi FatGuy,
Many thanks for the link it had some good info in it. I have looked at the voltage,Scott suggested I change it
to 2.10 which did make a difference but did not solve the issue.
I will look into the EPP set up for two memory modules only.
Many thanks
Brian

If you look at the second page of the thread you will see he fixed the problem by setting the memory voltages and changing the timing of the memory to specific settings based on the recommendations of OCZ technical support. If your link like was correct, and you have the 2GB kit with part number OCZ2N800SR2GK than his settings for voltage and timing should be exactly the same for you.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18315&page=2

Now keep in mind I'm not exactly sure of this, I'm just going by common sense. Reading the thread here and you describing your problem, than reading the the thread over there, I've concluded that you both are having almost the exact same problem. The only difference is the guy in that thread has 4GB installed and you have 8.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:21 pm 

Hi FatGuy
Success-Solved-Success-Solved-Success-Solved-Success-Solved-Success-Solved.

My default settings for memory timing were 5-6-6-18-2T which I changed to 4-4-4-15-2T and failed to boot.I then changed the voltage from 2.1V to 2.2V
and the system booted successfully and appears to be stable.
I would like to thank you personally, if you are on Skype my name is brianjgoddard please send me an invite.
Many thanks
Brian
(UK London)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:29 pm 

I love a good result, congrats, Brian

P.S I'm in Suffolk if you ever want to talk about UK Centric stuff :)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:33 pm 

Hey brian I'm glad you got it working!.

Last edited by FatGuy on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have made the configuration settings changes [to 2.1V] and conducted the memory tests you suggested. All tests were successful and the system did boot past the splash screen to the desk top screen prior to crashing.

So it booted with the 2.1V setting at the original timings, but then crashed at the desktop.
Quote:
My default settings for memory timing were 5-6-6-18-2T which I changed to 4-4-4-15-2T and failed to boot.

So it appears those timing changes made things worse, as now it won't boot even at 2.1V.
Quote:
I then changed the voltage from 2.1V to 2.2V and the system booted successfully and appears to be stable.

So it appears that it was the 2.2V voltage (and not the timing) change that really did the trick. In fact at this point I'd recommend going back to the default timing, which is more relaxed and less likely to cause problems than the new "tighter" settings you have now. Note for example where you said that it booted with the original timings at 2.1V, but would not boot with the new tighter timings at that same voltage. In otherwords, I think the original more relaxed timings at 2.2V would not only boot, but be more stable in the long run. But the only way to know for sure would be for you to test it. Let me know what happens if you do. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 am 

Hi Scott,
I have now change the timings back to the original settings of 5-6-6-18-2T and the system boots successfully.
So as you stated it is the voltage. When you say test it, are you talking about Memtest86 or another test?
Many thanks
Brian

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:20 am 

Hi Scott,

Looking back through the thread I have must have missed your post - Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:28 am,where you suggested an increase in the voltage from 2.1V to 2.2.
This would have solved my issue.
If you could let me know about the type of test to conduct I would be grateful.

Thanks again

Brian

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Admin

At this point I would consider successfully booting and running Windows 7 x64 with all of the memory recognized as a good a test as any <g>, but if you can also boot to the Windows Memory Diagnostic and run that successfully, then I'd say all is good for sure. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:09 pm 

Hey at least I was sure that I wasn't sure. I'll put my foot in my mouth now...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'll put my foot in my mouth now...

OK now that you bring it up, I'll admit I was confused by the "Declaring Victory" comment (which I see you have edited out). I was going to ask you if that was anything like "Mission Accomplished. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:42 pm 

Yes Scott, I edited it out as an "action" of putting my foot in my mouth!. I'll try and not post anything to I'm absolutely sure from now on!.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

It's certainly OK to post informed opinions, as in many cases there are no absolute correct answers, or if there are we often don't have enough information to find them for sure anyway. Your suggestions were actually on the right track. I didn't mean to discourage, you just set yourself up for a little joking around with the whole "victory" thing. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:30 am 

Hi Scott,
I have now run the Windows Memory Diagnostic with the screen shot out come below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1416630/Brian/M ... 20Shot.jpg

I had success with 3 of the 4 test passes, the last and final test just remained active in a loop up to
pass number 49 at which point I halted the diagnostic tool. (3.5 Hours)
Can you let me know what this means?
Do you think the system is OK now or can I run an additional different test to verify.
Thanks
Brian

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:12 am 

Try Memtest x86+

http://www.memtest.org/

Note that in "WMD" (Windows of mass destruction??!) you can run Extended test by pressing T whilst WMD is running, I think WMD will take a long time to run on 8GB.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 pm 

Hi David,
My understanding is that Memtest86 is a stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers.
I am running 64 bit and want to be sure that I do not have any issues with the Motherboard and or
the changes to the voltage I have applied.
Thanks for your suggestion as all suggestions help me think around the issues.
Brian

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:52 pm 

I do know that the most recent versions support recent chipsets including Core i7 so assume that it supports 64-bit systems. Please try you are the perfect guinea pig erm..... Tester!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:13 pm 

Hi David,

I was unaware of the i7 compatibility, I will run it overnight as I think you are right it could take some time.

Thanks

Brian

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

I believe the i7 "compatibility" is only for detecting and displaying the name of the processor (not for the actual memory test), which is relatively meaningless. Also, note that there are no less than 3 different versions of MemTest86 out there:

Finally, I found at least one specific system that was having problems where Memtest86 (the original) would pass, and where the Windows Memory Diagnostic would not. The memory was fine, the problem was the motherboard. After it was replaced, both programs passed all tests. Not sure about the other two versions, I didn't test them under the same circumstances.

Note that any memory test run long enough should eventually fail, as PC memory is proving to be highly unreliable, the recent Google memory study shows 3 to 4 *thousand* memory errors per DIMM per year! Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:16 am 

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the information regarding MemTest86,I think as the system has been stable for a number of
days.I will call it a day.
I do have one last question: Do the type of tests that I had carried out included removing and replacing
RAM multiple times cause stress to the system?
Thanks Scott

Thanks to all others including FatGuy who have helped me solve my system issues.
Brian

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do the type of tests that I had carried out included removing and replacing RAM multiple times cause stress to the system?

No, at least not unless you bent or broke anything, or unless you did it hundreds or maybe thousands of times per socket.

EDIT: On a technical note, there actually is a specification for this. Modern DIMM sockets are normally available in 3 versions, with contacts having a hard gold plating of one of the following 3 thicknesses:

Gold Flash = 3 µ" (0.08 microns), Durability = 25 mate/unmate cycles
    Gold (15) = 15 µ" (0.38 microns), Durability = 200 mate/unmate cycles
    Gold (30) = 30 µ" (0.76 microns), Durability = 1000 mate/unmate cycles

In each case the hard gold plating is over a 50 µ" (1.3 micron) nickel base. Most motherboards use DIMM sockets with Gold Flash plated contacts, which are rated for a durability of a minimum of 25 insertion/removal cycles before wearing through. The others with thicker gold plated contacts have significantly higher durability, but are more rarely used due to their higher cost.

For more information see the following documents:

Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 pm 

Hi Scott,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this additional information which shows your dedication to getting things right.

Brian

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:39 am 

I once had a nice socket 478 board but DIMM socket one had to "wiggled" to get it to work, perhaps this was why?! (board is long since dead now)

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware