Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Power Supplies
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:00 am 

Since PC Power & Cooling has been having production issues, I'm trying to find other manufacturers who seem to be agressive in producing superior PSU's. I found this site:

http://80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx

I'm looking at the manufacturers that are producing the most 80+ Gold PSU's. I don't know if that is any indication of their overall attention to quality but I don't know where else to start.

It seems that PCP&C is/was one of very few manufacturers that still had single rail 12v. units. I have not yet found any other manufacturers that still make single rail designs. I guess I'll be stuck with what's available from now on.

SeaSonic has a couple of nice 80+ Gold units but they are of the modular plug design. PCP&C always went with soldered wired plugs for reliability and efficiency. SeaSonic's S-12 series is lower efficiency but they do have wired plugs.

Scott, if I do end up using a modular plugged PSU, would it help at all to use Stabilant 22 on the contacts or is it only for use on RAM module contacts? I'm really running low on PSU options and I don't like making the decisions I'm being forced to make.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Power Supplies
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It seems that PCP&C is/was one of very few manufacturers that still had single rail 12v. units. I have not yet found any other manufacturers that still make single rail designs.

Corsair has single rail PSUs in both modular and non-modular designs, the modular ones (HX) are mostly made by Seasonic, who also made the PC Power & Cooling Silencer models. I've decided that Corsair PSUs are what I am going to use and recommend in the absence of PCP&C. I especially like the CMPSU-750HX.

Note that the CMPSU-750HX and 850HX are rated 80+ Gold, even though a silver rating is indicated on the Corsair and NewEgg sites.

Quote:
PCP&C always went with soldered wired plugs for reliability and efficiency.

While that explanation is technically valid, the *real* reason is that modular PSU cables are patented, and the patent is owned by Systemax (aka TigerDirect and Ultra Products). In fact the validity of the modular PSU patent is currently being tested in court.

Bottom line: I'd bet that if there was no legal "baggage" against using them, PCP&C would have had several modular PSU options by now. In fact depending on the outcome of that suit, they may put them in future products either by licensing the patent, or by disregarding it (as the others have apparently done). <g>

On a related note, Systemax\TigerDirect\Ultra Products also has a patent on the "break-apart" 20/24-pin main power connector (aka 20+4), which PCP&C also hasn't used (they include a 24 to 20-pin adapter instead). Note that these adapters or 20+4 break-apart connectors are only necessary if connecting to a 20-pin motherboard connector on a motherboard that has components or other physical interference that prevents the extra 4-pins on a 24-pin PSU connector from just hanging free.

Quote:
...if I do end up using a modular plugged PSU, would it help at all to use Stabilant 22 on the contacts or is it only for use on RAM module contacts?

Stabilant helps on any electrical contact, but I think you are worried about mostly a non-issue (i.e. additional connector resistance). I wouldn't hesitate to use PSUs with modular plugs, as long as normal PC type connectors (e.g. Molex Mini-Fit Jr.) are used on both ends (i.e. not this, which also seems to be covered by a patent). Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware