Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: External Hard Drives
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 am 

Hi Scott,

I have had some problems with usb hard drives failing. Somtimes I use and adapter
kit or an enclosure, but it seems either way these drives are failing, but why.
I run slave drives on all the time and I don't see them failing. Is it best just to buy
external hard drives like maxtor or western digital. I have a 300g external Maxtor
and run it endlessly no problem. Just curious if you have personally seen these
drives fail and why and is it better to buy the over the counter external hard drives.
What do you recommend for back up drives for customers data?

Thanks, Craig

Post subject: Re: External Hard Drives
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen more hard drives (both internal and external) fail in the last 5 years than I've seen in the entire 20 years prior. Why is that? I'd say that it is most likely due to the facts that more hard disks are being made, at higher and higher densities, and at significantly lower prices. With heavy competition in the HDD industry, along with slimmer and slimmer profit margins, quality seems to have suffered. Because drives store ever increasing amounts of information, it has become more important than ever to perform multiple backups: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122

There is however an excellent way to decrease the odds of having a failure, and that is to simply buy *more reliable* drives. Most drive manufacturers have several product lines, including standard and "enterprise/RAID" models. Guess which ones are better? If you guessed the latter, you win. <g> The enterprise/RAID models from most manufacturers are rated to be about twice as reliable as their standard models, and unlike standard models, they are also designed for true 24/7 operation as well.

Unfortunately you cannot easily purchase external drives containing the higher reliability models. But you can assemble your own. To get the most reliable external drives, I purchase enterprise/RAID internal drives and combine them with a good external enclosure. For example:

Note that internally the Rosewill enclosure listed above uses a JMicron JM20336 chipset, which I consider to be a good thing.

Bottom line: For maximum reliability and performance I build my own external drives using enterprise/RAID drives and high quality external enclosures. Scott.

Post subject: Re: External Hard Drives
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:41 am 

Another quick backup is to just take a bare hard drive and connect it through an adapter. Once the backup or archive is made, put it back into the antistatic bag and put it somewhere safe and dry. I found a nice adapter in Monitoring Times magazine (Oct. 2008 pg.73) that works really well.
The article had some nice things to say about Acronis True Image Home too.

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/Sear ... ctID=12944

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware